Sunday, January 6, 2013

First Semester

Okay, so my first semester is over. And I want to be honest so I can say 2012 was one of the toughest years of my life. When my parents left I sat in my dorm room alone crying for hours.
So if I can offer a tip it would be after your parents leave have a plan to call another family member (mine was my aunt). We talked for an hour and I just talked. It helps you stop crying for a little while.
When I woke up I have never felt so alone in my life. I woke up and felt a pit in my stomach.
It seemed as though my family had ditched me. As if 18 years of my life had been a lie and they never really loved me. THAT was hard. And it wasn't true of course (my mother was bawling her eyes out saying goodbye). The first day with my roommate was extremely awkward. She was on her new tv that her mom bought and I was on my computer. Despite having emailed back and forth since March we were unable to have a conversation.

All that changed when I went on my preorientation trip. If your school has any sort of preorienttaion trip of any kind or possible a meeting in which you can meet other future students in your class GO!!! REALLY GO!!!! I've met some of my best friends through that group. The people in a preorientation group chose that group for a reason and you will quickly find you all have many things in common.

Classes are difficult. What can I say? Its a school years worth of information in a semester! But don't sweat it just stay on top of your work and don't procrastinate (easier said than done).

September was the hardest month. There were times I would be fine and suddenly be moody and want to be left alone. I wasn't really quite sure how I was feeling and lots of emotions were happening. I had an October break which I am EXTREMELY thankful for. Even if you can go home for a long (or regular) weekend in the fall do it!! It might seem harder to go back but you will be happy in the end. After fall break I went back and felt I had made the wrong choice of a school and was unsure why I was 700+ miles away from home. However as time crept towards Thanksgiving I knew I picked the right place. I started calling it home sometimes by accident. While I go back in a week and I am not too thrilled its hard to come home, get used to it and then ship yourself back on a plane back to school. But once your there you don't want to come home. Its a strange feeling.

I can tell you I was honestly scared to go home fall break. I didn't want home to have changed. I knew I changed, but did my home? We were a puzzle and maybe once I was gone they healed the puzzle to three pieces and I just didn't fit anymore. Not the case at all. Your bedroom may seem childish but you didn't miss anything. If anything your parents missed more of you than you missed of things happening in their lives. Trust me it will be okay!

If you have any questions please, please please don't hesitate to comment! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment